Monday, February 16, 2009

Aachen Germany...Home to the Hot Springs!

My adventure to Germany first started as the idea of heading to Berlin, Germany. Once I researched my options of getting to Berlin I decided that it was difficult and a long journey, not to mention outrageously expensive! So I started researching places to go that were close to the border of Germany next to the Netherlands and stumbled on Aachen. That is when I started to read about the natural hot springs.


Early on Friday the 13th, I left the Leiden Central Station with a one way ticket to Aachen. I traveled with 5 other friends that I know from school. When we arrived in Aachen we navigated to the tourist information center to get maps as well as information on these mysterious hot springs. Truth be told they existed and that it was not a far walk. We were all starving so we found a local, cheap bistro where I sampled the authentic Curry worst, exactly what it sounds like. It was excellent! I also had a side of frietes (fries) and a Fanta. After our quick and filling meal we set off for the hot springs along the way Bruce stumbled on a skate shop where he found some Nike shoes that were a must have. We were navigating our way to the Hot Springs through the city of Aachen stopping to site see and take photos. We were able to see the resting place of Charlemagne’s remains. While walking through the city we found a park that was a short cut leading us to the hot springs. The park was beautiful! Green grass, huge trees, dogs playing, a play ground and it was on a hill so I saw some amazing views of the city. Then...there it was the HOT SPRINGS!!! Everyone started to celebrate and get really anxious.

The hot springs are set up like a resort but not with the outrageous prices. The Carolus Thermen is set up to where you register at the entrance and they give you a bracelet that is the key to your lockers as well as it acts as a time clock and will record an extra amenities you use through out the baths. The hot springs are both outdoor as well as indoor. But I would have to say the best part of the whole experience was swimming in the outdoor section and it began to snow. So I was thinking to myself who gets to sit and relax in hot springs while it is snowing in EUROPE!!! The host springs also had back messaging jets, saunas, and hot tubs. All around it was exactly what I needed. We spent 3.5 hours just relaxing and that cost 15 Euros each. After the hot springs we showered and got ready to make the next leg of the trip. (coming soon)

No comments: