Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ice Skating on the Canals

I was walking home from trying to find the open Saturday market and the canal bridge I cross to get to Hugo de Grootstraat, which is the street I live off. I saw a man skating on the canals! I mean I read about this and they weren't kidding, they really do this! It was really cool to watch him skate back and forth down the canal. I am hoping to go ice skating in the next few days, just need to find a rink they create on the canals where they provide skates.

Holland is known for its mild winters but this winter imparticularly has been very bitterly cold. Most of the locals have said this is the coldest winter they had experienced. The base temp has been 30 or below the last week I have been here. At night, the warmest it has been is between 19-25 degrees F. So its really really really cold here.

No comments: